Wednesday, March 09, 2005

3/5/05

Today was a sad day. My (ang) mom called me today and told me that my close friend and the woman that I worked with for 3 1/2 years before moving to Indiana died suddenly in a car crash on the Beltline in Madison. It is crazy because she had survived a car once before. I wrote this for her funeral:
I was so blessed to be a part of Debra's daily life for 3 1/2 years as her friend and personal life assistant. I remember sharing many fun activities and great experiences with Deb that enriched both our lives. Deb loved to be active and to try new things so we took several classes including belly dancing, a couple ceramics and photography courses, 2 Madison Arboretum nature trekks and one of Deb's favorite things, a sewing class. In fact, it was Deb tht taught me how to sew on a sewing machine. She was the most patient teacher I have ever had:) Debra welcomed the opportunity to help others. She always put others needs before her own. Deb and I volunteered together at the East Madison Monona Coalition for the Aging where her talents in this area were put to good use. She often said that this volunteer experience was something she really valued and enjoyed. Debra was a fantastic artist and quite crafty. Just about everytime I came over to her house she was would have a new craft project for us to work on together. Deb and I shared a love for laughing and being entirely too silly. My favorite memories with Deb are the times we would sit around and each other up. Her beautiful smile and bright eyes always cheered me up on cloudy days:) I learned many things from my friendship with Deb. The most important of these things were true patience, compassion and generosity. She displayed these qualities on a daily basis. I will be forever grateful for the time I was blessed to share with Deb. She was an Angel to me. I loved her deeply and will miss her presence in my life more than I can say. I was lucky to call her my friend.

Don't ever take those you care about in your life for granted. You never know if they will be around tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home